Thursday, December 30, 2010

Define the Essence of Christmas

Blog # 10
Informal Theme # 10

   Christmas vacation had just arrived and everyone just like to have an enjoying break. I am one of those students that when vacation starts, my attitude of being unproductive starts as well. Enjoying too much, I sleep so late and of course, I woke up late as well. I find myself enjoying in front of the computer and surfing the net for like more than an hour. Well, that's obviously unproductive. In contrast to this, I was involved into something worthwhile to do - an outreach program. I know it sounds so odd because of my vacation habits. True, my Christmas this year was one of the best in my entire life.

   December 23, 2010 to be exact. Interact Club and Youth for Christ (High school - based, Community-based, etc) joined forces to share the essence of Christmas to Bahay San Jose, a small institution for the mentally-impaired people. It was located at the cold breeze of Tagaytay City. Upon entering, we saw the patience quietly lying on their own beds. I felt suddenly sad. I can somewhat see the pain destiny brought to them. Their eyes were longing for warmth. Meanwhile, we introduced ourselves and made some presentations  to entertain them. Such fulfillment I gulped when some of them joined along with us, sending their witty faces. Udang, having cerebral palsy, tried to mimic our dance presentations. It seems that we are all welcome for them. 

Yolanda Del Carmen
Birth July 7, 1978
Cerebral Palsy

   We fed them food for lunch. Each patient have their two facilitators for that day. Kyla, my partner, was assigned to take care of Gracia, one of the patients that has cerebral palsy. In the middle of lunch, she suddenly cried and longs for something. Both of us don't know what to do so we called the helpers. Later on, the helper said she just wants coffee. Maybe trying to express what she wants but she couldn't do so, she just ended up crying. I felt really blessed.

Gracia Tubang
Birth Date Unknown
Cerebral Palsy

   Waves of farewell traveled across Bahay San Jose as we left. It was a great experience for me seeing those people contented having simple clothes and food and not hoping for extravagant things. We are all lucky to be born normal. We are so lucky, so lucky that we can do all things that we want. I wish everyone would value the things that we have because others were longing for those things far beyond their reach.

   Christmas is for everyone. For me, Service equates the essence of Christmas. For what we serve for others, is what we serve to the Lord. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment